Friday, September 10, 2010

Here We Go

So now I live in Omaha, NE. I have for 20 days now.  And I thought to myself, "Maybe I should start a blog so people can read about what I'm up to." So now I am sitting at my desk blogging...

 To catch you all up to speed; I am living in Omaha, NE as I complete a year with LVC (Lutheran Volunteer Corps).  This entails me working at a placement site, living in intentional community, living simply and sustainably, as well as working for social justice. Or as more simply stated in the LVC mission statement: LVC is a community of faith working for peace through justice.  Sounds like some pretty lofty goals overall, but then again I have always been an overachiever...
I work at Trinity Lutheran Church. My job description is ever growing as we discover the gifts I can bring to this place.  Right now I am working on developing programs for the youth of the Nile congregation (a partner congregation of Trinity comprised of refugees from South Sudan and their American born children), I will be overseeing Sunday School, assisting with confirmation and Alleluia Kids (a music program for children in 2nd-6th grade), as well as general office things.  Pastor John would also like to use this year to assist me discern my call to ministry, which means I go along with him and Pastor Liz to meetings, visitations, and other pastory things.  As far as I can tell right now, I'm really going to enjoy my year with Trinity.

I also have the pleasure of living with five people from across the USA also working in Omaha. It is nice to have a built in support system of people who understand the struggles and challenges that this year bring as they too live it.

Well, that is what is happening in a nutshell. In the future, expect more insightful and thought provoking updates as I struggle with the questions of life... or something like that, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment