Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Things I Learned At Outlaw Ranch

I wrote this... forever ago... but never got around to posting it

Until now......

As spring approaches, the understanding that I will not be returning to Outlaw Ranch becomes more and more real.  People are posting things about interviews and excitement over the warmer weather.  It is hard to believe I am not among those who get to return to one of the most wonderful places on earth.


I have found myself thinking of my time at camp and all the ways that the last three summers have shaped the person I am today.  While there will not be a fourth summer to influence my becoming, here are some of the most important things I have taken away from that place and experience.

1) Attitude is 80% of the battle.  Whether it is the way you spin a sentence (That's was pretty good. verses That wasn't so bad.), wearing a smile when all you need is a nap, or pushing your energy level just a little higher than you thought you could, having a positive attitude can make a world of difference. And an extra awesome bonus, that attitude will be contagious.

2) Take responsibility.  Not just for your self, but all things you have been charged with.  Take ownership and responsibility of those you where charged with guiding.  Apologize when need, correct when necessary, never dwell on wrong doings.

3) Praise good deeds whenever possible.

4) Pray often.  Pray out loud in groups, pray holding hands, pray at night, pray in the morning, pray with loud singing and dancing, pray in the stillness of the darkest night.  Pray where you are.

5) Shower those around you with love.  Even if you will only know a person for 5 days, surround them with more love than you think is safe.  Don't be afraid to cry when you part, a lot can happen in 5 days!

6) Don't talk about last weeks campers with the next weeks campers! Be present in the week and moment at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment